Praying for the UK: 31 days of prayer
As I wrote a letter about the EU Referendum, I have also spent time in prayer reflecting on the situation, asking God what I can do to make a positive difference. Our Lord has led me to put together a prayer guide to help us focus our prayers throughout the month of July.
Even if you don’t live in the United Kingdom, I hope it will inspire you to pray for your own country.
Share our 31 days of prayer on Twitter
Joining in with praying for the UK
Feel free to copy and print the prayer points listed below, either for your own personal reference or to share with your churches, home and prayer groups. I would appreciate it if you could share my website address with those who would like to take part.
You are welcome to add your own prayers as well as any Scripture you feel led to share, as a comment on the Facebook updates.
I would be very grateful if you could share this page with your friends off-line and online, so that more of us can join together in prayer.
Update: I have now put together a page on my website that will be updated weekly with prayer prompts, you can find it here – 31 days of prayer: Pray for the UK
“Here are my directions: Pray much for others; plead for God’s mercy upon them; give thanks for all he is going to do for them.
Pray in this way for kings and all others who are in authority over us, or are in places of high responsibility, so that we can live in peace and quietness, spending our time in godly living and thinking much about the Lord. This is good and pleases God our Saviour, for he longs for all to be saved and to understand this truth:”
1 Timothy 2:1-4 TLB
The following is a suggested outline for our 31 days of prayer
1: Seeking God
1. Focus our thoughts on God in preparation to pray. (Reflect on the Lord’s Prayer)
2. Our great need for God – individually, our country, and our World
3. God’s will
4. Our witness
5. Church unity and leadership
7. Peace and reconciliation
2: United Kingdom after the referendum
8. Unity of our country, working to heal divisions
9. England (voted out)
10. Wales (voted out)
11. Scotland (voted remain)
12. Northern Ireland (voted remain)
13. British Overseas Territory – Gibraltar (voted remain)
14. Our relationship with Europe and the rest of the World
3: Values and Politics
15. What are the values we want to stand for in the United Kingdom?
16. The role of Mass Media in reporting events and sharing information
17. For the new Prime Minister Theresa May, as well as for the new Cabinet Office.
18. Other political parties
19. The role of the House of Commons and House of Lords
20. MPs, MEPs, Local Government and Councils
21. Discussions on how to proceed leaving the EU
4: Issues concerning our country now and in the future
22. Issues affecting our communities, cities, towns, villages
23. Issues surrounding racism, discrimination, and other hate crimes
24. Welfare and health
25. Education – schools, colleges, universities
26. Economics, business, trade and jobs
27. Housing and local services
28. Environment and countryside
29. Our response to immigration issues and how best to help those fleeing war torn countries
31: Give thanks
1st July prayer
For today we begin with focusing our thoughts on God, seeking Him through this time of prayer.
Let’s put aside time to be still with our Lord in worship.
Suggested worship: Empty my soul
- What do you need to bring before God? – What are you fears, concerns…. share them with Him.
- What is your heart’s desire through this month of prayer?
Keep a notebook nearby to write down any thoughts, prayers, Scripture…
We approach Your throne of grace and mercy, and give thanks for who You are.
We dedicate the next 31 days to pray for our country – the United Kingdom.
Please help us to focus our thoughts on You, Your will and Your truth.
In the midst of trials, thankfully You remain the same. You are our firm foundation.
We are in need of Your wisdom, direction and help, to know how best to bring about unity in a country that is so fragmented.
Where it may feel dark, we continue to search for Your everlasting light.
Many are fearful for the future, with a sense of hopelessness and not knowing where to turn.
Many are suffering, and our hearts break from the way they have been treated.
Please help us to be willing vessels for You to work through to bring glory to Your Holy Name.
Please help prepare and equip us for the task at hand.
As we search for You and listen to Your guidance over the coming days, may we follow in the footsteps of Your Son, loving those You bring across our path.
We wait on You.
Thank You Lord.
In Jesus’ Name
Please ‘like’ my Facebook page @ScatteringGodsStonesOfLove to receive the prayer prompt updates. To have a greater chance of seeing the posts in your newsfeed, after liking the page, hover your cursor over the ‘Liked’ button in the page header, and under the subheadings ‘In your newsfeed’ click ‘first’ and under ‘notifications’ click ‘All on.’
Will you be joining us in prayer?
I hope you find the prayer prompts to be helpful
Images from Unsplash, modified by A Hunt
Music: Empty my soul by Melissa Helser Video: The Worship Channel
Linking up with: Family, Friendship and Faith Fridays